Printing a Map / Save as Image
In this section the user will learn how to print a map from the current map view by using the ‘Print’ map tool.
The ‘Print’ map tool is used to print the current map view location, as well as add a tile and subtitle to the map for printing.
This icon allows the user to open the ‘Print’ map tool. To open the ‘Print’ map tool, position the cursor over
the ‘Map’ menu and select the ‘Print’ map tool as shown in Figure 8.0. The ‘Print’ map tool will open as shown
in Figure 8.1.
Figure 8.0 – ‘Map’ menu
Figure 8.1 – ‘Print’ map tool
The tools used by the ‘Print’ map tool are as follows:
Minimize – This icon allows the user to minimize the ‘Print’ map tool. To maximize or reopen the map tool, simply
select the Print icon when the tool is minimized.
Close – This icon allows the user to close the map tool.
Follow the below steps to Print a map.
1) To print a map, first position the map in the desired location to print.
2) Type the title of the map in the ‘Title’ field provided and type a subtitle in the ‘subtitle’ field if necessary and select the
Note: The print map tool will allow the printing of a map without a title or subtitle
3) A printer screen will appear allowing the user to select the printer of choice, select the printer type and select print.
A map can also be saved as an image file such as a JPG, BMP, etc.
To save a map as an image file follow the below steps:
1) Position the map in the proper location to save.
2) Close any map tools that are opened in the map view, such as the overview map, bookmarks, and quick find map tool.
3) Press the ‘Alt’ and ‘Print Screen’ button at the same time using the keyboard.
4) Open the Paint program by selecting the ‘Start’ button, then ‘Programs’, ‘Accessories’, followed by the ‘Paint’ program.
5) Once the paint program is open paste the map by pressing the ‘Ctrl’ and ‘V’ button at the same time using the keyboard.
This will paste the map into the ‘Paint’ program so that the user can save it as an image.
6) In the Paint program select ‘File’, then ‘Save As’. Ensure the ‘Save as Type’ is set to JPG or BMP and then specify the location
to save the Image, then select ‘Save’. The map image will be saved in the directory specified by the user. The user will need
to locate the image file in the directory specified in order to view the image file.